Saturday, December 29, 2012

Reckless

Hey guys, long time no see, eh?

Alright, I guess I better get the unfortunate news out of the way, so let's do it.  Lauren and I have talked recently, and she doesn't currently feel comfortable being in a relationship right now.  She had quite logical reasons, and if that's what she wants, I'm perfectly okay with that.  So yeah, I'm staying single for now.  But enough about that, I better get on the main point of today.

Today, I want to talk about something I've been thinking about recently: Recklessness.  Why?  Because I kind of am.  In video games, board games, and life, I charge into things without thinking first quite often.  It's a personality trait of mine, I believe, and I've noticed myself doing it quite a bit.

And yet, recently I've noticed something.  I'm a reckless fighter, and yet I seem to win a lot in both arguments and video games.  It made me quite curious...how could being reckless give me an advantage.  That's when I started taking a different look on the matter, and that's when I realized something.  There is an advantage to recklessness.

In fact, being reckless is basically a strategy, if you view it in that sense?  Why?  Well, it's not so much to do with yourself as it does your opponent.  Everyone wears down eventually, no one can keep going forever.  You only have so much energy, so much concentration, and eventually, it will give out.  If you begin wearing down before your opponent, if they are good enough, they will beat you.

That's the advantage of recklessness.  Constantly, attacking, never stopping, even if you get hurt in the process.  While it doesn't always work, and can easily backfire, if you can do it for long enough, it pays.  When under constant attack, you begin to lose focus and concentration, much faster than usual.  It's not just focusing, it's an emotional issue.  No one likes to feel like they are under attack, and it can be emotionally draining.

Getting to the point, being reckless wears your opponent down...FAST.  I have learned this from fighting in Super Smash Bros, participating in arguments, and many other circumstances.  And I have learned that I do it well.  This mainly began to occur to me when I realized that I tend to be losing at the start, and yet generally get the upper hand near the end.  Now, this doesn't always work, as mentioned before.  If they have a strong enough will, or are just way too much better than you, doing things this way will hurt you more than it will do good.

So for those of you who are told you are a reckless person, take heart in the fact that it's not entirely a bad thing.  There are quite a few advantages, if you realize them, and learn to improve on them.

1 comment:

  1. Recklessness is a full-out charge that can be deterred by changing the direction of the force. Recklessness also has a higher expenditure of energy, but it puts value to the risk-reward correlation.
    Being (or pretending to be) dense requires little to no energy and causes others to underestimate you, be it in words or actions.
    Being adamant (or in excessive cases, stubborn) lasts as long a what you are doing.
    Being mentally apt (or agile) requires immense amounts of prediction, but gives the greatest results.
    Being an idiot (or overly dense, in some situations) means you (somehow) win; be it from an actual victory or from the other party yielding/fleeing.

    There is a time for each, Brennan. Staying reckless in a majority of situations will not always work; people adapt more often than not. Each one is weak to another and strong against another. Something like:
    Idiot < Dense < Reckless < Mentally Apt < Idiot.




    Yes, there is even a time to be an idiot.

    ReplyDelete