Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving's Eve

   Okay, so tomorrow is the day known as Thanksgiving, where we give thanks for the things we have and enjoy them.  Unfortunately...that means a whole day without bashing anything, or complaining about anything, or ranting about anything!  So, similar to the idea of Lent, when people would pig out on food quickly beforehand, and then starve themselves for a time, since we lose an entire day to bashing, Thanksgiving's Eve is an ENTIRE day of being grumpy, and complaining about anything and everything.  HAPPY THANKSGIVING'S EVE!!!

So, what should I rant about?  Well, there's something media related that's been on my mind for quite a while...and it's a complaint fitting to me.  What will I be bashing?  Simply, bad video game sequals.

Most of you probably know what I'm talking about.  You hear about a new game from one of your favorite video game series is coming out, and you get all excited!  Finally, another Halo game, or another Assassin's Creed!  The results are generally about 50/50.  Half of the time, it's just as good, or even sometimes better than the previous game.  And the other half?  That is composed of sucky games that should never have even been attempted.

Now I'm not bashing every game that has been rejected by fans in the past.  Indeed, I've played some hated games, and actually quite liked them.  The rant isn't about those...it's about a large portion of those.  Not games that the fans didn't like because they tried something new or creative...games that sucked because absolutely NO effort was put into them.

As for the creative games, let's suggest Star Fox Adventures, for example.  No one liked that game, but it wasn't because it was terribly done.  You could tell effort was put into it, and they tried to make the new concept of wielding guns as fun as possible...it just didn't fly with the fans.  The fans just wanted to grab a gun, and shoot things.  While I agree with the fans, and I prefer shooting ones much better, I didn't hate that game.  As I said, they showed effort, so at least they were trying.

Okay...so what do I hate then?  Well, let's use Modern Warfare 3 as an example.  This is one of the games that isn't too upsetting to play, but it bothers me a little.  Why?  Because the company had the capabilities to do SO MUCH BETTER!!!

Call of Duty is one of the most popular gaming series out there right now...they have LOTS and LOTS of money.  So therefore, you would expect that they would use that to make really good games, that would in fact, make more of it.  Well, that wasn't the case.  Modern Warfare 3 was essentially NO different from the previous game, Black Ops 2.  The gameplay was the same, the story was just as unimportant, annoying players were still online...THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE!!!!

When I look at a game like that, I see a complete lack of effort, which REALLY downs my opinion on those gaming companies.  When you run a gaming company, I find it important to feel passionate about your work.  For example, for their 25th Anniversary, the makers of Legend of Zelda released Skyward Sword, the next big game of the franchise...and it ROCKED THE WORLD.   The graphics were an improvement, the characters were full of personality, the music was fantastic, the gameplay unique and phenominal...oh...it was fantastic.

Fact is, while playing, you could TELL they cared about what they did.  You could tell, they worked their backs off for that game.  Not just so that they could make money, but so they could make this 25th Anniversary as memorable as possible.  That, in my eyes, is the mark of a true gaming company.

So when Call of Duty does something like that...it just really bothers me.  They have the money to do it.  They HAVE the capabilities to make something absolutely outstanding.  And what do they do?  NOTHING!  They just release the previous game under a different name just to make some more bucks.  I find it hard to imagine those people working hard on that game, trying to do their best to make it an experience.  It looks to me like a bunch of greedy bastards who just want to rip people off.

I could be wrong about this.  I've been wrong before, and I certainly could be wrong again.  But I just can't help but feel upset when a gaming company that could create so much does so little for money's sake.  That is greed, and nothing else.  HAPPY THANKSGIVING'S EVE!!!!





1 comment: