Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Brennan Malley: The Next Case

Chapter 2 Part 1

     When I got back to Michaela to tell her the news, I heard just about exactly what I thought I'd hear.
     "You must be insane!"
     "There's no way you can win that case!"
     "Do you realize how much of hole you've already dug yourself in?"
     I honestly didn't expect her to take it very well.  Indeed, she never did with most of the cases I took.  I admit, some of them were pretty stupid moves, and while I eventually did end up winning, it occasionally was pretty close.  I did wish she would trust my skills a little bit more though...you know, despite me having lost my job.
     "Look, I don't need more reminders of how stupid I am.  I've hit my head on the wall enough times today.  I came to you because I thought you might be able to help me.  I know absolutely nothing about this case, and I don't want to run straight into trial in a case that seems hopeless enough as it is."
     She sat there for a couple minutes, whispering more negative comments about the case to herself.  Once again, I wasn't really surprised, although I wish she could've just said them in her mind.  I could still hear her. After a few more minutes, she sighed, and looked at me.
     "Brennan...I wish I could help you.  I really do.  But right now, I myself have a lot on my plate.  My investigation yesterday brought up a lot that the ordinary police missed.  This criminal is a professional, I am almost impressed.   Further investigation is needed, and I mean a lot of it.  I am sorry Brennan, but right now I really can't help you."
     That was pretty unfortunate.  I couldn't do this case without evidence, there'd be no way.  I need someone to help me get more details, an official who has the right to do so.
     She could tell I was a little depressed.  She sighed for a minute, and then looked up again.
     "Look...maybe I can help you.  Maybe I can find some spare time in which..."
     "No Michaela, I can't burden you further with my lack of capability.  You've already done too much for me as it is.  I'll find a way somehow."
     "Well, can you think of anyone else you know that could help?  Maybe not a detective, but don't you know anyone who is good at observing details?"
     "Possibly, but I'm not-"
     I stopped in the middle of my sentence out of sudden realization.  It might be a little difficult, and I may have to pull a few strings, but...
     "Brennan, you have that look on your face again.  The one when you have an idea, crazy or otherwise.  Oddly enough, I missed that grin."
     "Enough about my face, Michaela, I need to borrow your phone for a second.  I have to make a call, and I don't have one of my own..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "I can't believe it!  For the first time in years, you and I together on a case!  Finally, together again on a grand adventure!  We could get our reputations back!  We could get our salaries back!   YEAH!  We can do this!  The defense lawyer and his trusty detective, off on a dangerous-"
    "First off, Aaron, it's only been a year since we've seen each other.   Second, we're not an official team.  I'm somewhat of a freelance attorney, the government doesn't exactly have the highest opinion of me anymore.  You're more here as my tour guide, able to examine the scene due to the fact that we're close friends.  I'm sorry, but this investigation won't be going on your record."
    "Aww..."
    "Heh, don't worry old friend, I'll make sure to treat you to a restaurant or something afterwords in payment."
    "Hey, thanks!"
    It was the next day, and after making a few calls, and a little bit of pleading to the police department, I managed to get my old friend, Detective Aaron, to help me out with the investigation.
    Aaron has a personality quite similar to mine, only a little more extreme in some areas, and a little duller than others.  Lots of determination, lots of ego, decent intelligence, but is quite clumsy, has the hardest time noticing small details, and doesn't have the greatest of hearing...while this is okay at best for a lawyer to have, it's terrible for a detective to have...which unfortunately is exactly what Aaron is.  He had more of an interest in the police side of things, and didn't really feel like going to a whole ton of law school, so he became a detective.  Of course, lacking some important talents that a detective should have, Aaron hasn't had the greatest of records.
   However, that doesn't mean he's a complete failure.  He isn't the stupidest man out there, and he has a good sense of what is right and what is wrong, and does have a heart, something every man should have.  His determination gets him into lots of trouble, but occasionally he's reckless at the right time, and there were a few cases that couldn't have resolved as they did without him.  Now he wasn't ever my detective; he was actually Brandon's, being his brother.  However, as some might put it, "there may be blood between them, but they're not brothers".   They may work together, but Aaron and I hang out more, and he does help me occasionally.  Now, for example.
   "Now Aaron, how much do you know about the case so far?"
   "About as much as you do.  Something happened at a bar, and now our friend Brea is in big trouble."
   "Do you believe she did it?  You know...actually murdered the guy?"
   Of course, Aaron didn't seem to have any belief in that possibility whatsoever.  Gotta hand it to him, he's got determination up both sleeves.
   "Heh, no way!  She may be a little off right now, but she's as harmless as a kitten!"
   "I wouldn't exactly say that...she's thrown quite a few weapons at you."
   "That's true...but there's still no way she could've done it!"
   I tapped the small button on my hat with one finger.  A habit I've developed recently to show that I'm thinking.
   "Of course not.  She's way too weak and emotionally spent to kill anyone at all.  I'm honestly surprised anyone chose to blame her.  Speaking of which...who am I against?"
   Aaron shrugged.
   "I don't know much...although I hear he's incredibly flamboyant."
   I couldn't help but sigh.
   "Great...just what I needed, an annoying opponent."
   "Yeah, apparently he's so confident in his capabilities, he's not even investigating the crime!"
   I spun around, very surprised.
   "Really?  None at all?"
   "Nope, apparently the case is already solved in his mind.  He doesn't believe he can possibly lose."
   I gave a smile of confidence.  Finally, a stroke of luck!  Had it been a controlled, intellectual person like Brandon, I might have been worried.  But this isn't someone who actually knows what he's doing, this is someone who thinks he's the greatest there is, and has no doubt in that belief whatsoever.  This case would still be difficult to pull of, but this certainly helps.  Aaron looked delighted.
   "I'm glad to see that confident smile on your face again, partner!  Haven't seen it in years!"
   I held back correcting him.  Sometimes, you've just got to let it go.
   "Yes, my friend.  As strange as this may sound, I missed yours too.  Now, shall we begin investigating?"
   Aaron saluted the only way Aaron salutes...in a pose.
   "Yeah, let's do this!"
   I couldn't help but laugh.  Man...it's been a long time since I've done that.

4 comments:

  1. Yep, that's the way to motivate me. Food, either nice or gas station; I just want lots of it.

    I have been waiting for this update and this looks great as always!!!!^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^
      |
      At this post.
      Grammar and word usage: Sent. one: 8/10
      Sent. two: 5/10
      Overall : 3/10

      Delete
  2. Now I know one week is 26 days. One more day and you'd have gone over you once-a-week update schedule. <--(Yes, this is a joke)

    Aaron's on your side? You're doomed; he'll eat your files.

    ReplyDelete