Thursday, January 24, 2013

System Reviews: 3DS

Alright, I'm taking a break here from my story (probably gonna update on Saturday, which is after an allnighter, just a little warning XD) to give you a review on a system that you probably are interested in hearing.  My review on the Nintendo 3DS.

While this system has been out for about two years now, I only have two friends that have one, but the majority of my friends have DSs.  Being portable, it's a great way to play video games together in places like Youth Group and hangouts.  Since it's a popular system, many of you were probably considering upgrading to this.  Well, just yesterday, I obtained a 3DSXL, and today I will be reviewing it for you.

This review is going to work a little differently, as since systems vary completely in different areas, I can't set certain subjects to review it on.  Therefore, I will just cover everything overall, and give a final rating at the end.

Now, honestly enough, I think the games are worth the system alone.  I didn't buy the system originally for the 3D, I bought it because of the games coming out for it.  As surprising as this may sound, some quite major titles have come out for this system.  For the first time ever, Ocarina of Time's graphics were updated for the system.  The sequel to Kid Icarus that was for the FREAKING ORIGINAL NINTENDO.  Mario Kart 7, the first Mario Kart to include underwater levels and flying!   Pokemon Gen 6, first main Pokemon game to be 3D!!!  Fire Emblem: Awakening, Rune Factory 4, Super Street Fighter 4, Starfox 64 3DS, Super Mario 3DS, Phoenix Wright 4, and oh my word...SO MANY GOOD GAMES!!!!   And not only that, but the majority of those games are 3DS exclusive, built specifically for that system!  At first, I wasn't interested, but when the games started piling up, I was blown over.   It was simple, really.  I HAD to have this system.

Now, maybe for SOME INCREDIBLY WEIRD REASON that doesn't do it for you.  Well, now let's talk about the system itself.  Before we get into the apps and graphics and such, let's talk about the system itself.  The corners and side of the 3DS are much more rounded than any of the other DSs, giving for a much more comfortable feel.  The Button are basically in the same place as the DSi, only with a new cool feature: a flat joystick.  Not only does this keep your fingers from hurting from long use, but it also is much nicer to use for quite a few games.  Quite a cool add-on in my opinion.

 Now for the main menu.  The menu works quite similarly to the Wii's, with all the different apps and such.  The 3DS has a home button that allow you to return to the menu at any time, asking if you want to stop playing your game of course.  You scroll through it on the bottom screen and it shows a small animation of sellected app on the top screen.

Speaking of apps, I will mention that if you get a 3DS, don't worry about losing your DSi apps.  You can transfer them quite easily, actually.  It will delete them on the DSi and you'll have to download it again, but it's still nice.  So yes, Katie, no loss of flipnotes.

The first mentionable app is the Mii Maker.  Yup, just like on the Wii, you can make your own Miis on here, and use them for various games and features.  There's a 3DS exclusive feature known as Mii Plaza involving Street Pass, but it's not completely interesting, and I won't dive into it today.  They kept the camera and sound record from the DSi, and actually upgraded them.  The 3DS can actually take videos as well as take pictures, and the pictures are much more accurate.  Just like the DSi, you can change Brightness, but you can also activate something called Power Save.  It really doesn't seem to change much, but it apparently saves more power, so use it if needed.

Oh yes, since I KNOW I will be asked this if I don't cover it...yes, 3DSs ARE compatible with any previous form of DS.  You can't play 3DS games on the DS, but you can play DS games on the 3DS, as well as play DS games with other DS owners.

The web surfing is much more enhanced this time, and in my opinion, better than the Wiis.  Oh, and the internet connection is enhanced too.  I have perfect connection going all the way downstairs now.

And now for the biggest app wonder.  Remember how you could download old video games to the Wii?  Well you can now do that with the 3DS.  There are all different kinds of games, even not limited to the portable games!  It has more variety than the Wii has!  It's amazing!

And finally, what the entire series is based on: the 3D.  It not only works, but with some games, it really enhances things.  I tried a Demo for the new Fire Emblem game, and the 3D was AMAZING.  Even the Cutscenes were 3D!

Rating 10/10

They really worked on making this system good, and I'm sad to think that I once looked at it in a negative fashion.  I kind of understand now why it was originally 250 dollars...there is so much you can do with this thing.  But now, you can get the original 3DS used for $130, and the 3DSXL $170 .  If you're thinking about upgrading, and you have the funds DO IT.  It will certainly be worth your money.

2 comments:

  1. It's also more durable than wet cardboard- I mean, the DS Lite, which was one worry from its shape.

    LoZ:OoT for the win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also forgot...
      You can download 3DS games in addition to other ones (yes, I mean the ones you'd buy in-store).

      Delete