Monday, September 29, 2014

Edge of the Empire: Soldier's Path

"Brace yourself...this is probably going to do more than sting a little," I grimaced, pulling out a box of medical supplies.

"After the pain I've been through?" Kihirursi responded calmly.  "I'm pretty sure I can handle a little medical attention."

"That's what you always think until the pain actually hits," I said as I opened a small bottle.

Kihirursi chuckled.  "And you're an expert on this matte-" 

Her smirking face immediately turned to one of anguish as I began rubbing a small cloth against what remained of her arm.  She didn't scream, but it was pretty obvious that it did not feel good.

"Let's just say I've had quite a few close calls," I said, trying to lighten the pressure at the wound.

I couldn't help but feel frustrated at the current situation.  I'm a soldier for goodness sakes; I aim my gun, shoot, move on to the next fight.  While I had some experience in basic medicine, assisting with the healing process of a lost arm was definitely not my forte. Unfortunately, the other person who sustained a serious injury from our last mission just happened to be our only doctor, so now I was stuck with doing his job.

"Alright," I said, putting all the medicine back in the bag, "that should help prevent the wound from getting infected...at least I think.  I'm really not qualified for this."

"Well, you're not doing too bad," she said, her body starting to relax.  "You did succeed in cleaning the wound."

"Thankfully I have cleaned wounds before.  Hopefully the pain starts to lessen soon."

I stood up and put the supplies in a nearby drawer.  "Well, I'm getting pretty tired, I think I'm gonna get some sleep."

As I turned around, I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I turned around to see Kihirursi giving a rather serious look.

"Is something wrong?" I asked curiously.

"Brenn...there's something that I've been wanting to talk to you about for awhile now," she, releasing my shoulder.

"Hmm?"  

She sat down, still slightly dazed from the massive blood loss that happened a few days ago.  

"There's something you've been hiding from everyone."

I immediately stiffened.  

"What do you mean?"

She began to draw, something she did commonly when something was on her mind.

"For the most part, I try to know a lot about you guys.  I prefer to be well-informed, and I am the leader of the group.  While I don't know everything that you all have been through or done, I know quite a bit about you guys.  I know about your hobbies, what make you tick, that sort of thing."

I crossed my arms.   "And?"

She kept drawing.  "While I'm sure there are many facts I don't know about the work background of everyone, they've all given me thorough responses about what they do, or I've heard about them through other sources."

She stopped drawing and pointed the pencil at me.

"That is, everyone expect you.  You've mentioned that you're a soldier, that you've worked for the rebels, and that you drink horrible alcohol due to your work.  However, you have yet to mention anything about what you actually did or who you actually were.  I have noticed several instances in which others have asked you about it, and you always dodged the question.  You seem rather focused on hiding it."

I stiffened again, but my pose didn't change.  "And why should I tell you?"

She smirked.  "Because I want to know!"

I groaned.  Of course her excuse would be so simple and pointless.  But at the same time, she had a point.  As much as I sometimes regretted it, she was the leader of the team and deserved to know.  I stood silent for a minute as she looked at me with absolute curiosity.  

My pose suddenly relaxed.

"It's not as much that I don't want to tell you as I can't."

Her eyes widened slightly.  "What do you mean?"

I sighed and crossed my arms in thought for a few more minutes.  What should I say?  I didn't want to give too much information, but I didn't want to lie about it either.

"I can tell you this much," I said, relaxing my pose again.  "I was part of a...special military team in the Rebel alliance."

She began drawing again.  "A special military team?"

I nodded.  "We were...a small unit that was sent on recon missions that were considered to be...particularly dangerous."

"And?"

"And what?"

"What kind of recon mission?"

"I already told you."

"No, I mean what did you do specifically?"

"That's classified."

"Who was with you?"

"Also classified."

"Is that how you became so skilled with weaponry?"

"Yes."

"Why did you quit?"

I froze.  I had thought the question might come up, but I still wasn't ready for it.  It hit me like the punch to the stomach...I didn't know what to say.  My face took on a look of anguish, which Kihirursi quickly noticed.

"Brenn, what's wrong?" she asked, looking concerned.

"It's nothing." I said, gathering myself unusually quickly.  

"What?"

"You should get some rest."

Before she could utter another word, I was gone.  









No comments:

Post a Comment