Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ace Attorney: Andrew Dalmin

   Turnabout Revival: Recess

   An hour recess had been declared.  Generally recesses that long weren't granted, but this was a special case.  My outrage created absolute chaos.  Everyone was fighting with each other, yelling at each other, and it became apparent that it would take some time for everyone to gather themselves.   Aaron was looking around everywhere for me, a million questions rushing through his head.  Where was I you ask?  Repeatedly hitting my head against a pole outside the courthouse.

    I was so foolish.  Believing that I could stay the same after a year of being trash underneath everyone's feet.   For years I knew I had the potential, that the scars of my past had created rage within me.  It was there, but I was strong enough to conceal it, and still managed to smile and stay strong even when my gut was twisted inside out.

   That one year was all it took.  When Jenna's final testimony came, I simply couldn't take it.  The sight of one rebuking another's friendship was simply too powerful.  It might not even been meant in that way, but it didn't matter.  Power and energy flowed through me and I lost all control.  I had become a monster.

  I hit my head again and again, even when my mind began to go numb.  What I had done, no matter how innocent I was, was inexcusable.  The things I had yelled at Jenna broke every single thing I believed should never be said, and the pain was unbearable.  How could I be so-

  "If you hit your head on that pole much longer, we might have to have another trial for murder."

  I spun around quickly, praying inside that it wasn't Jenna.  It wasn't, and in fact, was someone I didn't expect."

  "Brandon?  What are you doing here?" I said, confused.  Brandon was the same as usual: a bland suit and crossed arms.

  "I was in the audience.  I was interesting in seeing how you would handle your first trial in a year's time."

  "Oh..."

  Brandon gave me a stern look.

  "Andrew, what is done is done.  Your reaction was simply unavoidable.  Now stop beating yourself up and focus on what you have to do now."

  "Hold on a second."

  I gave myself one last punch to the face.  Not to beat myself up with, but to relieve some more stress and clear my head.  Brandon was right; Brea still wasn't acquitted yet.  I could easily find more poles after court was done.  I put my glasses back on and straightened my hair.

  "Alright...sorry about that." I said, my mind clear once again.  "Thanks."

  "Hmph," he said, ending the topic in his own way.  "I have something of importance to tell you.  Remember what Jenna said right after your outbreak??"

  I pulled out my cards and shuffled through them.  "No, not really...I left almost immediately afterwards."

  Brandon adjusted his glasses using only the tip of his pinky finger.  "A new suspect has been found."

  I dropped all of my cards.  Out of all the things he could have said, that wasn't what I was expecting.

  "You're serious?"

  Brandon sneered.  "Mr. Mambony, owner of the bar.  Jenna told the police she saw a small man with a large nose and mustache running into the bar when she arrived on the scene.  I took some time to obtain information, and he appears to be quite the dangerous person.  Multiple dealings with the mafia, possibly even a mob boss.  Further investigation shows that Brea and his mafia cohorts against have fought against each other before, Brea actually prosecuted against him in another murder case once."

  I began picking up my cards.  "So you're saying he has a clear motive?"
 
  Brandon nodded.  "Little to no evidence has been found so far proving he was there."

  I put my cards away and put my jacket back on.  "I need to pull it out of him on the witness stand?"

  Brandon nodded, then began walking back towards the courthouse.

  "Come, court is about to start again.  I am guessing you do not want to run into Wolf, so I will make sure we go in unnoticed."

  I ran after him, finally back to my senses.  Sometimes, it was nice to have a friend that was as nonchalant as Brandon.  Time to take down the mafia.

 

 

2 comments: