Friday, August 15, 2014

Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS: New Character Review

Hey guys, long time no write!

Just to let everyone know, a new story post WILL be coming soon, and yes, it is for Ace Attorney.  I just need to...get down to writing it...

Anywho, there's something I've been getting hyped about lately that I've been meaning to write about that I finally decided to get down too...

SUPAH SMASH BRUHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yes, it's the game that many of us have been waiting for and anticipating, the new Super Smash Bros!  Personally, I have VERY high hopes for this one.  The new characters look awesome and I love the roster so far, the new features look pretty cool, and the graphics look pretty sweet as well. Plus...it's Supah Smash Bruhs.  Nuff said.

As I said before, I'm really liking the roster and especially the new characters.  But since there are very few people I know who are very into games in general, I haven't exactly had much of an opportunity to spaz about it.  So, I decided to spaz about them on here!  Here's my thoughts and expectations for the new characters!

Animal Crossing Villager

Villager

Since I'm reviewing them in release order, I decided to start with my favorite out of the first three and possibly my favorite period: Animal Crossing Villager.

Interesting Fact: Animal Crossing Villager was actually going to be in Super Smash Bros Brawl, but was decided to be saved until the next one.


I enjoyed Animal Crossing: New Leaf, so seeing the main character as a choice sounded like a good idea to me.  But as I think about it more, it might actually be my favorite.  One thing I always love in Super Smash Bros is using characters with diverse and interesting moves, like Toon Link and Game N' Watch.  It adds elements of surprise and I just find it fun to do.

From what we've seen, Animal Crossing Villager appears to be that kind of character, but possibly of an even greater degree.  Each of his moves is based on either an action or object that the character can do in the game.  Dropping a bowling ball, flying with balloons, using a...plant thing?


Anyways, he looks like a really fun character to use, and I hope he actually is.  

Megaman
Mega Man

Megaman is one of the most hyped up characters for the new game.  This is kinda funny for me because honestly, I have little to no experience with Megaman games, so him being released wasn't really that big of a deal for me.  But I know it was a big deal for a lot of people, so I'm very happy for them.


What does impress me is that he seems to be VERY based off of original Megaman, which is what all the fans were hoping for.  In the old games, whenever Megaman fought a boss, he'd get a new move that would be cool, unique, and be very effective against a different boss.   From the looks of it, most of his moves will be from the old bosses to fit with the character, so that's pretty neat in my opinion.


As for how he plays...I'm not sure.  I could see him being similar to Animal Crossing Villager, being fun to play due to his diverse moves, or I could see him being similar to Samus, a Mid-Range Gunner.  Either way, most fans are excited for this one, so I hope he meets their expectations.  Who knows, I might enjoy using him as well!

Wii Fit Trainer
Wii Fit Trainer

When I first heard about this, I laughed very, very hard.  Was this a joke?  Was this serious?  I couldn't tell.  Well, apparently it's legit, and it doesn't appear to be a gimmick character either.


I've heard she's using Yoga moves, which I'm not certain of, but it wouldn't surprise me.  My guess is she'll be more of an aerial close combat fighter, but I really don't know.  All I can say is that I will be laughing my head off.


So majestic...

Rosalina & Luma
Rosalina & Luma

I'm always open to new female characters in Super Smash Bros, and I think that Rosalina was a great choice to add in.  Originally in Super Mario Galaxy, she's the Super Mario Princess that's not cliche, pretty emotionally strong, and has an actual royal air around her instead of looking like a princess designed to be kidnapped.  


She appears to utilize the Luma in most of her attacks, so my guess is she'll be mainly either a mid-range or long-range fighter.   It also looks like she might be quite the aerial fighter too, but I'm not really sure.  Either way, I'm sure she'll be a very useful fighter.


I CAN FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Mac
Little Mac

Ever heard of Punchout?  


Well, Super Punchout?


Punchout for the Wii?


Eh, story of my life.

To be fair, I didn't find out about this series until about two years ago myself, but it's pretty cool. As I'm sure you figured out, this is a game about boxing...but it's a bit different than you'd expect.

Instead of being a simple beat-em'-up or another weird WWWhateversportsthing game, Punch-out is a mix of strategy and timing.  You participate in one-on-one fights where you try to learn your opponent's movements, find their weak points, and deal with both.  Though I've only played the NES version, it was both challenging and fun, so I'm sure the other titles are great as well.  


Although I don't know if there was a fanbase asking for this, we got Little Mac, the main character of Punchout as a new SSB character!  He's used to being the smallest guy among tons of massive and powerful opponents, using his speed and wits to beat them up.  Now that he's one of the tallest members in the ring, I think he's gonna enjoy this game.


From what I've heard, he's supposed to be awesome on the ground and horrible in the air, which makes sense considering his occupation.  This is another one of my possible favorites, though since I tend to enjoy aerial combat, I could end up having trouble using him.  Whether I can use him or not, I hope he's a good character.  Who knows?  This might encourage more games for him!

Greninja
Greninja
POKEMANS
              POKEMANS
                             DOES WHATEVER A POKEMANS DOES

While everyone expected Pokemon to be in this one, I don't think anyone expected Greninja to make it in...and not in a bad way.  A new Pokemon in a game released just about a year ago, I'm not sure anyone though that one of the new starters would make it in...but they did, and he looks like a great choice!


Due to being....well, a ninja, my guess is that he'll play somewhat like a faster version of a Lucario, but with more ranged moves.  I thought he was a cool Pokemon in X and Y, and he looks just as cool here.  While he might not be one that I use, my guess is that he'll be a very well-liked character.


Mii Fighters
Mii Fighter

I almost feel like there should be a theme song for this.

MII FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!!!

I dunno, it sounds like it would work.


These guys are pretty simple to explain, but pretty awesome in concept.  You can fight with the Miis you created, and with a special choice of fighter class.  So far they've shown a swordsman, a gunner, and a fighter, but there might be other classes due to pictures that look different from the base three.  Maybe they're just alternate costumes, I dunno.


Honestly, I think this is one of the best new concepts for this game.  I wasn't surprised that they made Miis as playable characters, but the addition of class choice means that this character is very customizable, which I'm sure many people will enjoy.  I hope I can play as myself and Falcon Punch something.  

Palutena
Palutena

Palutena was...an interesting choice.  Don't get me wrong, as I said before I have nothing against more female characters and due to Kid Icarus: Uprising's successful launch, a new character from Kid Icarus would make sense.  But...Palutena?


I mean, she's an interesting character in Uprising and all, but...I dunno.  For some reason I have both no interest to play as her and no interest in her being in this whatsoever.  A character like Magnus would have made sense as you team up with him and he's pretty awesome, but...Palutena?  You never even saw her fight in Uprising, and she's a goddess for crying out loud!  Isn't that kinda cheating?  



So, yeah, this is really the only new character I'm not sure about, but who knows?  She might be awesome, and I hope she is, it just seems a strange choice for me.

Pacman
Pac-Man


    Pacman!   All retro gamers are now drooling as we now have the combination of Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman in a single game.  I gotta admit, I'm impressed, Nintendo.  You managed to convince Namco, Sega, and even Capcom (the ones that don't seem to care about their main icon anymore) to put their main icons into their game.  I admit it, that's pretty awesome.




He looks to be a very nostalgic character like Megaman, possessing not only moves based off of his older games but apparently moves based off of other classic Namco titles.  I'm not sure how exactly he'll play, but I'm sure they're not gonna cut corners on one of the most well-known gaming mascots of all time.

Lucina

Lucina

I'm not gonna lie...these next two surprised me.  Not because I didn't like them, not because they weren't popular in their series, but because I guess I'm still getting used to Fire Emblem being a well-known series now.  Awakening made Fire Emblem a possible Nintendo mascot to rival the likes of Pokemon at this rate, but that was so recent that I guess I didn't see this coming despite it not being all that surprising when you think about it.  I am really excited for both of these plus Ike and Marth (4 FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!!!!!!), and happy that Fire Emblem is beginning to get the recognition it deserves.


Lucina looks like another swordsman possibly similar to the likes of actual Marth (big surprise), but I'm sure she'll have her own differences.  Even if she is similar, I'm still excited for her, possibly being the only female character I will ever play as.  


PLEASE TELL ME SHE HAS A TIME TRAVEL MOVE OR SMASH.  THAT'S WHAT THIS LOOKS LIKE.  PLUS THE PICTURE IS JUST AWESOME.

Robin/Robin
Robin

The other even more surprising but exciting choice, male and female Robin.  Once again, not too much of a surprise due to technically being the main character of Awakening despite also being your character (a rarity in Fire Emblem), but I don't care, SO MUCH YUS.


My guess and hope is that they'll be mages with swords like their in-game class and be a melee/mid-range mix.  Once again, whether they'll be aerial or ground-based, I'm not sure, but I can see either way working fairly well (though my bets are on ground).  


Heehee...Olimar's face XD 

And that's it for now!  Once again, I plan on writing some Ace Attorney in the near future, so seeya guys then!


4 comments:

  1. X.X I don't even. Though I'm sure the others will be just as excited as you to play it :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pick up the 3ds version for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it with Robin's fascination with subpar equipment? Fire, Thunder, Bronze Sword, Levin Sword, Illegal Flux... If that's actually the case with his/her equipment, I expect no damage output.

    That aside, Little Mac and Rockman finally getting in is a nice change. I do like how Wii Fit trainer is still as bland-looking as before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, they couldn't put Magnus in this game; his club would be so large, it could hit through... pretty much everything. Palutena was at least in Brawl, too. Not that that presence was longer than five minutes, of course. And she isn't exactly strong in Uprising...

      If only they brought Hades in instead...

      Delete